Have you been enjoying healthy desserts and treats month in the Shape University community? If for some crazy reason you’re not a part of it, click here to sign up now. Not only do you get tasty Tuesday recipes and Sunday motivation emails straight to your inbox, you also get FREE access to the Shape University healthy living resource library!
This month we’ve been talking about the benefits of a majority approach to healthy living. Just like the name “majority approach” implies, it involves making the healthy choice the majority of the time. Bet you’ve never heard that suggestion before 😉
To celebrate the majority approach, this month’s Tasty Tuesday recipes are all focused on healthy desserts and treats that don’t leave you feeling like a bloated exercise ball. Because let’s be honest, life is far too short not to eat chocolate.
Enter this healthy rocky road recipe.
Whether or not you agree with describing foods as clean or not, you have to admit this recipe made with real food ingredients is better for you than the sugar-laden, 3-year-old stuff you buy from a store.
Unlike processed junk food, this healthy rocky road will leave you feeling satisfied after just a piece or two. It’s rich, dark and full of flavour. But the best part, it’s full of nutrients too!
- 10 Tbsp coconut oil
- 10 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 3 Tbsp rice bran syrup
- 1/2 tspn liquid stevia*
- Rocky road
- 1/3 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 Tbsp dried cranberries
- 2 Tbsp almonds
- 2 Tbsp cashews
- 1 Tbsp pepitas
- 1 Tbsp cocoa nibs
- 2 Tbsp shredded coconut
- Melt coconut oil in a small saucepan on low heat.
- Stir in cocoa, syrup and stevia. Take off heat.
- Line a baking dish (preferably a loaf tin) with baking paper.
- Scatter rocky road ingredients along bottom of baking tin.
- Pour liquid chocolate over ingredients in baking tin.
- Place in freezer for 20 minutes to set.
- Remove and cut into 20 pieces.**
- * If you don't like the taste of stevia, add another 3 Tbsp of rice bran syrup for a dark-style chocolate. Add more syrup if you need sweetness.
- **You can cut into as many pieces as you'd like. Just remember, it's quite rich and satisfying!